How to Become an HVAC Tech in Portugal

Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) technicians work with different temperature-control systems worldwide. HVAC techs in Portugal are regulated similarly to how they are in the U.S. 

To become an HVAC tech in Portugal, you’ll need to receive your professional certification card for general tech work as well as for handling fluorinated gases. If you plan to work on public projects, you’ll also need your TIM II or TIM III professional card.  

If you’re moving to Portugal from another country, you’ll also need to legalize your overseas credentials and apply for the right visa.

We’ll cover:

  • Becoming an HVAC tech as a non-EU citizen
  • Becoming an HVAC tech as an EU citizen
  • Becoming an HVAC tech in Portugal as a citizen/resident

Non-EU Citizen HVAC Techs in Portugal 

If you are from a country outside of the European Union (EU), you’ll need to prepare your documents to legally enter Portugal and find work.

  1. Legalize Your Credentials

If you already have HVAC experience in your home country through an apprenticeship, secondary education, post-secondary education, or another program, you’ll need to bring proof of this experience to Portugal. 

Your English documents need to be apostilled and legally translated to be valid in Portugal. An apostille is used by foreign governments to assess the authority of signatures on important documents. 

If you’re from an Apostille Convention country, you can request an apostille from the state/province/community your form was made in. For example, if you have a degree from a university in New York, U.S.A, you would have to get your degree apostilled in New York. 

Once your documents are apostilled, you will have them legally translated by a Portuguese translator residing in Portugal. This can be done online and via mail.

After this, your documents will be valid for consideration in Portugal. 

  1. Apply for a Visa

To get to Portugal, you’ll need a visa from the nearest Portuguese embassy. Call the embassy, research their website, or make an informational appointment to find out which visa option is right for you.

  1. Apply for a Work Permit

Once you get your visa and arrive in Portugal, you’ll have to apply for a work permit. This is how you’ll receive your NIF number, which is required when contracting a job in Portugal. Think of it as something similar to a Social Security number.

  1. Get Required Certificates

All HVAC techs should get a professional certificate card for:

EU Citizen HVAC Techs in Portugal

EU citizens have free reign to move, live, and work in Portugal. After three months in the country, they’ll need to apply for a Residence Certificate.

EU citizens should receive the same professional cards as stated above in #4.

Portuguese HVAC Techs

Portuguese HVAC techs undergo training through secondary programs, post-secondary programs, or apprenticeships, much like the U.S. 

Portuguese HVAC techs should receive the same professional cards as stated above in #4.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top