How to Become a Contractor in Kansas

Whether you’re there for family, the Great Plains, or The Wizard of Oz, KS is a calm state with plenty to offer. For those wondering how to become a contractor in Kansas, we’re here to help. 

To do so, you’ll need to get a contractor’s license from your Kansas municipality. Most municipalities will require you to hold liability insurance, offer Worker’s Compensation coverage, have or be the qualifying party (knowledgeable supervisor of said contracting work), pay a fee, and complete an application. 

To give you an idea of the process, we will break down contractor licensing in the two largest Kansas counties: Johnson and Sedgwick. 

Do You Need a Contractor’s License in Kansas?

Kansas contractors are required to follow their municipality’s contractor regulations. All contracting companies – regardless of the municipality – are required to be properly registered with the Kansas City Secretary of State. 

To find out about your local regulations, Google “your city’s contractor license laws” and click on relevant “.gov” links for the most up-to-date information.

Registering a Contracting Company in KS

Contracting companies in Kansas can use their online Business Startup Wizard to easily form a new company in the state. You can also register an out-of-state company on this site. 

Before you do, you may want to check your company’s Name Availability, especially if it’s a trade name and not named after your legal name. 

Once registered, you can also receive a Certificate of Good Standing online if needed for your municipality.

Contractors in Johnson County, Kansas

Johnson County has almost 600,000 Kansas residents, making it the largest county in the state. Contractors here must have a Johnson County Contractor’s license. 

First, you’ll need to complete the application and pay both a $100 application fee and a $180 licensing fee. 

Next, you’ll need to appoint a responsible individual called the Qualify Party. This person is a full-time employee of the contracting business and could be the applicant themselves. To be a Qualifying Party, you must have ONE of the following:

  • A Bachelor of Science in architecture, engineering, construction science, or construction management from an accredited program
  • A test score of 75% or higher on an exam described in the Kansas Statutes Annotated or approved by the Contractor License Review Board

Once you’ve added your Qualifying Party’s information to your application, you can provide proof of their work experience, as well as your company’s general liability insurance and Worker’s Comp coverage. 

For more information on this process and the requirements, see the application.

Contractors in Sedgwick County, Kansas

Sedgwick County offers general contractor (GC) and trade contractor licenses. They also require homeowners to pass specific exams if they want to work on their homes.

Contractors will complete the application (GC or trade), list their Qualified Person, and attach (a):

  • Trade certificate
  • Test results
  • Certificate of liability insurance
  • Worker’s Comp certificate
  • Certificate of auto insurance
  • Certificate of Good Standing
  • Qualified Person Declaration page
  • Company Officers Signature Page
  • Qualifying Party Authorization
  • All required fees

For all documents and further information, see here. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top