How to Become a Contractor in Wyoming

If you want to join generations of pioneers in Wyoming, you may be considering becoming a contractor in the Equality State. 

To become a contractor in Wyoming, you’ll need to follow your local regulations. There are no state-wide licenses for contractors unless you are only doing electrical contracting work.

To give you an idea of the process, this article will break down contractor regulations in the two largest WY cities: Cheyenne and Casper.  

Registering a Contracting Business in Wyoming

Some municipalities only give contracting licenses to registered businesses. If this is your case, you have to first register your business with the Wyoming Secretary of State. 

First, you’ll choose an entity type: LLC, Corporation, Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, etc.

Then, you’ll search to see if your company name is available. The name should match the type of work you do and it cannot be misleading. 

Next, you’ll need a registered agent to accept “service of process.” This is a person who is legally appointed the point of contact for your business.

Finally, you’ll either file your application online or on paper, depending on your business type. You’ll need to pay a fee with your application. 

Most applications are processed within 15 business days, although online fillings are usually automatic.

Becoming a Contractor in Cheyenne, WY

Cheyenne contracting businesses should apply for a contractor’s license with the city. Every company must also have one qualified supervisor who holds a Cheyenne Qualified Supervisor License.

For a full list of contractor license specialties and qualified supervisor roles, as well as applications, see here.

Cheyenne Contractor’s License

You will need to complete the application with:

  • Company references from people you’ve done business with
    • E.g., lumber companies, customers, supply houses, etc.
  • All fees
  • A certificate of general liability insurance
    • The City of Cheyenne Building Safety Department must be a listed certificate holder
  • Proof of Worker’s Comp and Unemployment registration, if you have employees

Cheyenne Qualified Supervisor License

The applicant for the contractor’s license may apply to be the qualified supervisor or they could appoint an employee to do so. 

The supervisor should complete the application and:

  • Pay all fees
  • Provide a detailed list of their experience
  • Take and pass the ICC National Exam, if required for their scope of work

Becoming a Contractor in Casper, WY

Casper hosts Contractor Board meetings on the third Thursday of every month. If you want your contractor’s license in Casper, you’ll need to submit your application at least 10 days before the next meeting to have it reviewed that month.

Casper offers:

  • General Contractor Licenses
    • Class 1: construct, repair, or alter any structure
    • Class 2: the same as class 1, up to and including an 8-unit residential building and commercial structures for up to 25% of the assessed value
    • Class 3: only repair, remodel, or alter single-family residences for up to 25% of the assessed value
    • Demolition contractor
    • Roofing contractor
  • Individual Contractor Licenses
    • Mechanical and plumbing
    • Mobile home
    • Water treatment
    • Utility
  • Electrical Licenses

Check the City of Casper’s licensing page to determine the requirements for your type of contractor’s license and to access your application.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll to Top